This is a town of the five-petalled rose, spas, and carp, and a popular recreation and tourist destination. Třeboň’s period of greatest prosperity came in the 15th and 16th centuries with the introduction of aquaculture and fishponds, the work of Rožmberk engineers Štěpánek Netolický and Jakub Krčín of Jelčany. The historical centre of Třeboň today is surrounded by well-preserved fortification walls with four entrance gates (Budějovická, Hradecká, Svinenská, and Novohradská). The long rectangular town square is lined with Renaissance and Baroque houses, including the Town Hall with its massive tower with gallery, and there is a Marian Column from 1781 on the square itself. The town’s most valuable monument is its Renaissance castle which was built from a former fortified castle. The castle today houses the State Regional Archives as well as two richly furnished visitor routes, both open to the public. The third visitor route presents the castle’s former utility areas – inside agricultural buildings, the “dog kitchen”, and the casemates. There is a charming English Park immediately adjacent to the castle. The Neo-gothic Schwarzenberg Tomb is located in the park on the banks of the fishpond Svět, not far from the centre of town (see separate article).
An Augustinian Monastery was founded here in 1455 which the Schwarzenbergs later reconstructed into a residential castle. The Žižkovo town square today bears the Baroque Town Hall from the end of the 17th century, a pillory, and statue of the Hussite military commander Jan Žižka of Trocnov.
There is a small zoo in the nearby village of Dvorec, an Exotic Animal Park. The zoo holds lions, tigers, reptiles, bears, and many more species.
This is one of three preserved water-powered blacksmitheries in the Czech Republic. It is operated by 3 millwheels, was founded in 1780, and worked until 1950. The hammer mill is still functional and is operational when there’s enough water
in the stream.
This is a national nature reservation in the Třeboň Protected Landscape Area. Peat used to be collected here from the end of the 18th century, and the area was declared a protected reservation in 1953. The peat reaches a thickness of up to 7 meters deep in places. The reservation is home to rare flora, including the Pinus Rotundata and wild rosemary, while the fauna includes the rare Menesia bipunctata beetle. The reservation also includes a 3 km long educational trail.
A summer resort area on the shores of the Hejtman pond. Iron ore was mined in the area from the 15th century, then ironworks emerged in the 18th century. A Baroque castle was built on the site of a former Gothic fortress in 1710. The castle includes a vast park with exotic trees and sculpture decorations.
A right-bank tributary of the Vltava, starting in Austria and one of the most popular Czech rivers among canoers. It is 208 km long and enters the Vltava River at the village of Týn nad Vltavou.
This is a man-made canal that connects the Lužnice with the Nežárka River. It was built at the end of the 16th century by Jakub Krčín (1535–1604) to re-direct flood streams from the Lužnice and was designed to protect the levee of Rožmberk pond from being overloaded by higher waters.
A town on the Czech-Austrian border. The Buquoys received the town after the Battle of White Mountain and repaired the old fortified castle from the 13th century above the Stropnice River, built an English Park, and built a new residential castle from 1801 to 1810.
A mountain range on the Czech-Austrian border. In the Czech Republic, the mountains take up an area of 162 km2, while in Austria the mountains reach to the Danube River. The highest mountain is the Viehberg at (1112 m), located in Austria. The source of the Malše River is at the range’s northeast foothills. The highest mountain in Czech territory is Kamenec (1072 m).
This is the largest fishpond in all of Central Europe, built in 1584–1590 by the Rožmberk engineer Jakub Krčín. Its construction involved the relocation of three-quarters of a million cubic meters of earth, resulting in a levee 2355 meters long and 11 meters high, with a base width of up to 60 meters. The area of Rožmberk pond is 489 hectares; it holds 6.3 cubic meters of water, although during the great floods of 2002 the levee held over ten times that much.
The starting point for canoers headed down the Lužnice River. Glass was produced here until the 1930’s. The main altar of the Church of St. Nicholas bears a wooden statue of the Virgin Mary, today considered to be one of the most beautiful Madonnas in South Bohemia.
A fishpond at the southern edge of Třeboň, founded in the 1670’s. Its levee is 1400 meters long and holds 3325 million cubic meters of water. The levee bears a bronze statue of the pond’s architect, the Rožmberk aquaculturist and manager Jakub Krčín of Jelčany and Sedlčany (ca. 1535–1604).
A landscape park covering nearly 140 hectares. It was named after Countess Theresia Buquoy who decided on the foundation of such a park in 1756. There are many domestic and exotic trees planted here as well as a number of romantic spa buildings decorating the park. An impressive man-made waterfall on the small Stropnice River flows through the park. The Gothic Cuknštejn Fortress ruin is located nearby. The park includes a 5 km long educational trail with twelve stops bearing information panels.
This man-made water canal interconnects the fishpond system of the Třeboň basin on the left bank of the Lužnice River. It was built in 1505–1520 by the architect Štěpánek Netolický (1460–1538), and it still works today. In the past, the canal was also used to supply the surrounding settlements with drinking water and for transporting wood. Its entire length is 47.8 km. It was called “Golden” due to its economic significance.
This Neo-gothic family tomb not far from the centre of Třeboň in a park on the shore of fishpond Svět was built in 1874–1877. It has a regular hexagonal shape with a forward–placed tower and a majestic staircase. There have been a total of 26 members of the Schwarzenberg family placed in the tomb since 1877.